A brief introduction to food grade mono and diglycerides of fatty acids, as well as uses and dosage
Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids have two configurations: mono-glycerin fatty acid ester and di-glycerin fatty acid ester. According to the names of the main constituent fatty acids, mono and diglycerides of fatty acids can be divided into glyceryl mono- and di-stearate, mono- and di-lauric acid glycerides, mono- and di-oleic acid glycerides, etc. Among them, mono- and di-stearate is the most widely used acid glycerides.
Name: mono and diglycerides of fatty acids
Molecular formula: C21H42O4
Molecular weight: 358.56
CAS number: 123-94-4
Introduction of mono and diglycerides of fatty acids
The pure product is a white waxy solid, which melts into a transparent liquid when heated, and its freezing point is not lower than 58°C. It is tasteless, odorless and non-toxic. It is easily soluble in vegetable oil, soluble in hot ethanol, ether, chloroform and acetone, but insoluble in water. It can emulsify with water and is a water-in-oil emulsifier. But because of its strong emulsifying properties, it can also be used as an oil-in-water emulsifier. Commercial products are usually white or slightly yellow, in the form of powder or beads.
Uses of mono and diglycerides of fatty acids
1. It can be used as a fungicide for food and medicine. It has strong antibacterial activity. It can be used for the preservation of meat products, dairy products, beer, soy sauce, etc., and can also be used for preservation of orange, peach, lychee and other fruits.
2. It can be used as emulsifier, co-emulsifier, stabilizer and preservative, etc. Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids can be used as bread softeners in food processing, as defoamers for soybean products, as emulsifiers and stabilizers in dairy products, margarine, and pastries. The general dosage is 0.3%-0.5%; as soy sauce, The amount of defoamer for soy milk and lactic acid drinks is 0.1%.
3. It can be used as emulsifier, co-emulsifier, stabilizer and preservative, etc. Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids can be used as emulsifiers for industrial silk finishes and lubricants for textiles; as dripping agents and antifogging agents in plastic films; as lubricants and antistatic agents in plastic processing; also used For the preparation of cosmetic creams, creams and lotions. The reference dosage for dairy products, margarine, and pastries is 0.3%-0.5%; the defoamer dosage for soy sauce, soy milk and lactic acid drinks is 0.1%.
4. Used in daily chemical products. When HLB>3.7, mono and diglycerides of fatty acids are W/O emulsion emulsifiers. They are ideal raw materials for cream products. They are also used in pharmacy and are used to prepare neutral ointments.
How to use mono and diglycerides of fatty acids
1. Used in candy and chocolate. Mono and diglycerides of fatty acids can effectively prevent the oil separation of toffee and toffee; prevent the crystallization of chocolate sugar and the separation of oil and water, and increase the delicate feeling. The reference dosage is 0.2%-0.5%.
2. Used in ice cream, it can make the tissues evenly mixed, the tissues are fine, smooth, puffing activity, and improve the shape retention.
3. Used for margarine, it can prevent oil-water separation and stratification, and improve the quality of products.
4. Used in beverages. Adding to fat-containing protein beverages can improve stability and prevent oil from floating up and protein sinking. It can also be used as stabilizer in emulsified essence.
5. Used for bread, it can improve the structure of the dough, prevent the aging of the bread, the bread is soft, the volume increases, it is elastic, and the shelf life is prolonged.
6. Used in cakes, it is compatible with other emulsifiers, as a foaming agent for cakes, and forms a complex with protein to produce a moderate bubble film and increase the volume of the cake.
7. For biscuits, adding to the dough can make the oil evenly dispersed in an emulsified state, effectively prevent the oil from oozing out, and improve the brittleness of the biscuits.
Committed to provide safe, high-quality, innovative and practical raw materials for the food industry at home and abroad. With the expertise and mature technology in the field of emulsifier and the correct grasp of the market, it rises rapidly.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to Additives News and keep up to date with all our activities and events.